Thursday, May 31, 2012

Alone on the water - Kitesurf Sessions 85 to 88

Kiting in May in Portugal has a big advantage: you're often alone on the water, or at least having to share the spots with only a few other kiters and the weather is already warm enough (if you're not coldish, you can use just a shorty, like me, or even no neoprene at all, if the session is not too long).


Unlike the usual north to north-westerly winds that usually blow along Portugal's Atlantic coasts, I got West winds most of the days I was back at home, so I decided to check out the kite spot at Baleal, near Peniche. Definitely, a place that I'll visit again, a beautiful bay that me and my brother had all to ourselves!



On Sunday, we went down to Lagoa de Albufeira, a flat water spot I really like a little south of Lisbon. But with the low tide and a bigger number of kiters around on the lagoon (hey, it was Sunday!), we decide to stay on the ocean side, which proved a much better option, with better wind and only one or two other kiters to share the space with!



With the forecast for Monday and Tuesday also better at Lagoa de Albufeira than anywhere else, I went back to find miself kiting alone most of the time! The wind from the west allowed for some easy upwinds to Fonte da Telha, north of the lagoon (check the map below), and then some nice downwinds on the waves back to the lagoon.



0 comments: