Saturday, May 26, 2012

Wave champions at Guincho

With a forecast of light winds around Lisbon, I decided to try my luck at Guincho... As often, the 10 knots forecast at this famous spot turned out to be 20 knots on my windmeter, reason enough to admit that, even if it's far from being my favorite place to kite, it has a "special magic" in what concerns attracting winds...

(panoramic view - click to enlarge)

As soon as I got there, I saw a familiar face... Thinking it through for a little while, I figured out it was Abel Lago, RRD's waverider! I was guessing he had come to Portugal to enjoy some nice waves, when I ran into none other than Mitu Monteiro, having a orange juice and a sandwich before hitting the waves!


As I quickly figured, there were some of Portugal's and the world's best waveriders at Guincho, offering some serious kiting just before my eyes! I didn't understand why they were all there, until somebody told me they were training for the first run of the KSP World Tour, taking place in Guincho from the 1st to the 10th of June.
I wasn't quick enough to get my camera and take a picture of my smiley face together with Mitu, but later managed to get some pictures of his stylish riding, even if the full zoom in my point-and-shoot camera only allows a poor quality... Anyhow, it was a sight I won't soon forget! It sure beats seeing some of this guys on internet videos...


(Mitu on the waves)

0 comments: